There's no denying that photographers can be a tough bunch to shop for. But don't worry, we've got you covered with this list of gift ideas that are sure to please even the most discerning shutterbug.
From affordable accessories to must-have gadgets, there's something here for every type of photographer on your list. So go ahead and take your pick - after all, they're going to need something to capture all those holiday memories!
What is the reason?
Depending on the type of event your gift was destined for, the type of the gift and its value will vary significantly. So, what things to consider when choosing a gift for a photographer?
First of all, you should know what kind of photography they are into. This will help you decide if you should get them something practical like a new camera strap or a fun item like a camera-themed t-shirt. If you're not sure, just ask! They'll be happy to tell you all about their favorite hobby.
Next, consider your budget. Photographers can be pretty passionate about their gear, so it's important to set a realistic price range before you start shopping. There are plenty of great gift options out there at every price point, so don't feel like you have to break the bank to find the perfect present.
What is the purpose of your gift? Is it your girlfriend`s birthday or your anniversary and you want to make a presentation which would be not only nice but also useful? Or is it Christmas time and you`re looking for a Secret Santa gift? Maybe it`s just a casual day, but you want to present a little gift that would make happy your little brother who is into photography. The purpose of the gift will also define its character.
Practical or fun? This is probably the most important question you should ask yourself before choosing a photographer`s gift. If it`s a birthday, an anniversary or any other special event, you might want to give something practical like a new camera bag or a memory card. But if it`s Christmas time or you just want to make a photographer happy, then go for something fun, like a camera-themed coffee mug or t-shirt.
Finally, consider the age and level of experience of the photographer. A beginner will probably appreciate a more basic gift like a photography book, while a more experienced photographer might prefer something more advanced, like a new lens.
So what are you waiting for? Get shopping for those photographers on your list - they'll be sure to thank you for your thoughtful gifts!
What gift do you give a photographer?
- A memory card reader - This is an essential piece of equipment for any photographer, and it's surprisingly affordable. A good card reader will make it easy to transfer files from your camera to your computer, and it's a great way to free up space on your memory card.
- A spare battery - There's nothing worse than having your camera die in the middle of a shoot. A spare battery is always a welcome gift, and it doesn't have to be expensive.
- A camera strap - A good camera strap can make a world of difference when you're carrying your camera around all day. And there are plenty of stylish options to choose from these days.
- A lens cleaning kit - Every photographer needs a good lens cleaning kit, and this one from B+W is an excellent choice. It comes with everything you need to keep your lenses clean and clear, and it's small enough to fit in your camera bag.
- A subscription to a photography magazine - If your photographer friend is always looking for new inspiration, a subscription to a photography magazine is the perfect gift. Popular choices include National Geographic Photography, Digital Photo, and Nikon Pro.
- A wireless remote shutter release - This nifty gadget allows you to take pictures without touching your camera, which is great for taking self-portraits or avoiding camera shake.
- A portable hard drive - Every photographer needs a good place to store their photos, and a portable hard drive is a perfect solution. This one from WD is small enough to fit in your pocket, and it comes with a handy case for protection.
- A tripod - A tripod is essential for any photographer who wants to take sharp, well-exposed photos. This one from Manfrotto is lightweight and easy to set up, making it a great choice for travel.
- A lens hood - A lens hood helps to prevent glare and lens flare, and it's a must-have for any serious photographer. This one from B+W is made of high-quality metal, and it's designed to fit a variety of lenses.
- A camera bag - A good camera bag is essential for any photographer, and there are plenty of stylish options to choose from. This one from Lowepro is perfect for travel, and it has plenty of room for all your gear.
Trips and tours
If your friend likes to travel and take photos, why not give them the gift of a photography tour or workshop? There are plenty of companies that offer tours and workshops in a variety of locations, so you're sure to find one that's perfect for your photographer friend.
Some popular options include Photo Expedition Tours, which offers tours to destinations like Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands, and Light & Land Photography Workshops, which offers a variety of courses in locations around the USA. You can go on the trip with your friend photographer and make it a real adventure!
If you're not sure what to get, or you just want to give your photographer friend the freedom to choose their own gift, then a gift voucher is always a good option. Most major camera stores offer gift vouchers, so you can be sure they'll be able to find something they love. So there you have it - our list of gift ideas for photographers. We hope you found something that's perfect for your friend, and we wish them all the best for their next photo adventure!
Courses and classes
There are thousands of reasonable and handy photography classes that you can present as a gift:
- Online Course: Photography Basics and Beyond: From Smartphone to DSLR. With this course, your friend will be able to produce amazing photos, regardless of the type of camera they use.
- Online Course: Photography for Beginners. This is a great gift for someone who is new to photography and wants to learn the basics.
- Online Course: Mastering Your DSLR Camera. This course is perfect for someone who wants to take their photography to the next level and learn how to get the most out of their DSLR camera.
- Workshop: One Day Photography Workshop in London. This would be an ideal present for someone who loves photography and wants to spend a day exploring London with a professional photographer.
- Classes for kids: In case you are eager to gift something to a future photographer, you can go to classes like "Kids Photography Club" or "Photography for Kids."
- Private Class: 3-hour Private Photography Class. This would be a great gift for someone who wants to learn photography in a one-on-one setting with a professional photographer.
- Course Bundle: The Photography Masterclass Bundle. This bundle includes four different courses that cover everything from the basics of photography to advanced post-processing techniques. It would make an excellent gift for any photographer, from beginner to experienced.
What do you get someone who loves photography?
In case a person is not a professional photographer and is just keen on photography as a hobby, here are some gift ideas:
- A camera-cake
There are plenty of photos on social media where cakes are made in the form of something absolutely unbelievable. It could be sometimes a castle or a figure of princess Elza from Frozen. But what if you order for your friend a cake in the form of… a camera? It is a very special and unique gift that will remember for years.
- A personalized mug with their favorite lens
For professional photographers or ones who just adore their hobby, buying them a personalized mug with their favorite lens is an excellent idea. This way they can drink their coffee in style, every morning admiring their favorite thing. If your friend likes, for example, taking pictures of landscapes, you can find a mug with a landscape printed on it.
- A camera-shaped keychain
It is a small and cute gift that will make your friends smile every time they take their keys out of their pocket. If they are into retro cameras, you can find an old-fashioned keychain for them. There are also modern designs if your friend prefers more minimalistic things.
- A t-shirt with funny photography saying
This is something casual that your friend can wear anytime, anywhere. You can find t-shirts with all kinds of sayings related to photography, from serious and professional ones to silly and humorous ones. It is up to you to decide what suits your friend the most.
- Luminar 4 or Photoshop subscription
These are software programs that most photographers use and they can be really expensive. If your friend is just starting out in photography, a subscription to one of these would be an amazing gift. They will definitely appreciate it and put it to good use.
- An instant photo printer
Another interesting idea for either professionals or amateur photographers is an instant photo printer. This way they can print out their photos whenever they want and even make some Polaroids. It is a fun and practical gift that will come in handy.
- A photography book
If your friend loves reading about photography, buying them a book on the subject would be a great idea. There are plenty of books to choose from, depending on your friend’s interests and level of expertise. You can find both theoretical and practical books, so take your pick.
- iPhone photo academy course
For those who love taking pictures with their phone, an iPhone photo academy course would be a perfect gift. In this type of course, they will learn how to take better photos using only their phone. This is a very practical gift that will come in handy on a daily basis.
- A custom-made lightbox
This is a great gift for those who love taking pictures of small things, like jewelry or food. A lightbox is a box with a light inside that illuminates the subject from all sides, making it easier to take pictures of it. You can find them in all kinds of sizes and shapes, so choose one that suits your friend’s needs.
How to present a gift?
Your surprise even if it is very interesting and handy won`t have much effect on a person if you present it in a boring or careless way. It is important how you do it. Here are some ideas:
- If you want to make a really big impression, put the gift in a giant box with a big bow on top.
- You can also hide the gift inside another object, like a book or a puzzle.
- Another fun idea is to wrap the gift in several layers of wrapping paper, so your friend has to work a little to get to the prize.
- If you want to be creative, you can make your own wrapping paper using photographs or other prints.
- You can also write a nice note to accompany the gift, explaining why you chose it and what your friend can do with it.